Sunday, August 17, 2008

A Future and a Hope...






If you haven't been asked the question already, it is only a matter of time. What do you hope for your children when they grow up? What do you dream for them?
Matthew and I were on the way home from Costco today...kids going crazy in the car. We were just chuckling about the fact that we had not yet heard, "Mom, I have to go to the bathroom," and we were already 20 minutes into the drive home. With four little ones, the small things in life, like one less trip to the potty, are really big!
Anyway, we got on the subject of what we hope for our kids when they are 30 years old. Matthew talked about happiness and no regrets. He also shared that he hopes our kids never grow up desiring material things to fulfill them.
Me, I hope that no matter what they do there is depth and purpose in their lives. Ultimately, I hope their relationship with Christ will define both of those things. I hope my kids are not teachers for the sake of teaching, or business people for the sake of making money, or athletes for the sake of their sport, but that they teach to change lives, are business people to serve others, and athletes so they can influence the masses. Whatever they are when they grow up, I hope it becomes more than they could have ever imagined.

1 comment:

Chrystal Sturm said...

Good words! I hope that my children come to enjoy a real, personal relationship w/the Lord very early. I hope that this relationship defines them more than anything else - the clothes they wear, the people they hang out with, the way they look. I also pray that they do what they are passionate about...passionately. And don't get caught up in the technicalities of life (you must go to college straight out of hs, you must have a college degree to work for The Man, money rules, etc.) & that they find their mate and get married early! That one is selfish. What I wouldn't give to have had a few more years w/Kevin before they came along. Plus...I wanna be a young(ish) grandma! ;) Thanks for the thot provoking post!